Friday, April 30, 2010

Blog-Royale April 30

I'm blogging today for two reasons.

1. Rick Moranis has quit acting.

Photobucket

Maybe you knew this. I didn't. What makes it all the more shocking is that the last film he appeared in (I'm not counting voice acting) actually came out in 1997.

Thirteen years ago!

It was 'Honey We Shrunk Ourselves' and I remember taking it out at Prime Time Video probably that very same year, and since then I haven't once thought "I wonder what Moranis is up to"...I just assumed he'd reached a state of post-peak diminishing returns usually reserved for legends such as Carrey and Williams (Robin, although I could probably say the same for Robbie).

But no, he's gone, having retired very nobly, to look after his children a little while after his wife died. But somewhat ironically, in dedicating his life to his own kids, he's denied any child under thirteen the right to a Rick Moranis film in their life time...sad stuff.

"I'm a single parent and I just found that it was too difficult to manage raising my kids and doing the traveling involved in making movies. So I took a little bit of a break. And the little bit of a break turned into a longer break, and then I found that I really didn't miss it"

There's rumours of a comeback in Ghostbusters 3, which I pray to God sees the light of day. Because nobody should have to go out on a straight to video sequel. That's just low.

I'm looking at you Eugene Levy:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

2. New music.

Since Ox.Eagle.Lion.Man went on hiatus last year (after writing but not recording our third record) I've been working on musical material of my own, generally alone, and generally in my bedroom, the room in which I'd wager I've spent 75% of the last eighteen months. I've mentioned some of the comings and goings of this new project on the blog before, but until now, haven't really been happy enough with any of the results to start playing gigs or give it a name or whatever.

But now I'm kind of happy, and there's not going to be a big song and dance...but, well there are going to be big songs actually. And although an album's not 100% written, the 80% that is there is pretty strong. And that's as close as I'll ever get to telling you something I've done is really good, unless I get the chance to one day star in an American Pie spin-off.

Anyway, information and links here as it happens.

MUCH LOVE

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2 comments:

Marina said...

I feel sorry for those who couldn't have Rick Moranis as part of their childhood. I had no idea he wasn't acting anymore. Sad thing to live in a world where Rick Moranis is retired and Ted Nugent thinks he can act.

bigjoemuzz said...

Yer right... no one is on Myspace any more- build your bandsite on here- much better.

http://music.nme.com

Sad about Rick btw.