Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Blog-Royale February 18

Don't get me wrong, as much as MTV Two is going down the pan (see: the death of 120 Minutes, less episodes of Gonzo each year etc), it has been a pleasure being employed by them for the last six/seven months. Not that I had much choice in accepting the job.

See, I did try and get a position as a shop assistant at this place called Behave (Soho branch) that sells Cheap Monday jeans and plaid shirts. I even did a trial day and enjoyed it, and I think the guy who ran it liked my vibe. But then he never called me back. And whenever I rang the shop he seemed to be out.
Harsh.
If you're reading this after googling 'behave soho' and there's ever a job going again. I still want it.

What did I do to let you down?

So, back in the present day, other than interviewing Mick Foley and Irish people, sometimes I have to do these discussion panel shows hosted by Zane Lowe. I say sometimes, I've done one. But it was a great day, sharing screen time with two childhood heroes, Corey Taylor and Carl Barat. Anyway, I've either told you the story before or you saw it. Probably more likely the former, although I think it did make late night TMF.

The long and short of it is that tomorrow another panel show beckons. This time, the 'greatest albums' of the MTV generation (aka post 1981). I don't know about you, but looking down this top ten doesn't really inspire me...

10: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, Thats What I'm Not

9: Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

8: Oasis - Definitely Maybe

7: Pixies - Doolittle

6: The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

5: The Strokes - Is This It

4: The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

3: Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction

2: Radiohead - OK Computer

1: Nirvana – Nevermind

Yes, some of those are great albums, but surely they're not the best ten since 1981. It seems more like a list that celebrates the ten safest bets that can be talked about for an hour without upsetting too many people. And there's some in there (I won't name names for fear of losing friends) that I hope I never have to listen to again.

Lame.

Where's Nick Cave? Where's Tom Waits? Where's the Mars Volta?
Where's the Liza Minelli/ Pet Shop Boys collab?
I know everyone has their own tastes but I think a truly transcendental album can do more than simply 'change your life'.
Not having enough money on your Oyster card changes your life. But nobody puts that in a top ten list.

Now for something completely different.

This seems to be one of the few British blogs that didn't have a whole week's worth of entries based on the couple of snow-filled days that entered all of our lives the other week. The snow arrived literally over night much to everyone's surprise and delight. I enjoyed it most fully at it's freshest between 12.30AM and 4.30AM on the morning of Monday 2nd February.

I won't boar you with the finer details but my favourite moment (that I will leave you with) was finding this woman lying down in the middle of the road on Redchurch street at about four in the morning. She didn't seem to know where she'd been or where she was going. Nor would she accept our help. She just lay there. Looking at the sky, as the snow fell.

44330011

And I thought to myself...

44330010

Idiot.

3 comments:

Fredàrick Maniqùise. said...

Aha, brilliant.

I can assure you, i've not mentioned snow once, it kind of defeats the point of it being there.
It's only of interest for people who aren't experience it to know about it; if it's happening to you, you don't need someone to go 'LOOK AT ALL THIS DAMN SNOW, JEFF' in some kind of local radio patter fashion.

And I like how you used the word 'delight' in there; I've heard more complains about the snow being there than people actually talking about the middle-eastern crisis.
British people are so whiney.

Team Evil said...

Check out Teameviil.blogspot, you're our chapter six.

-Izzie and LaLa

codeunknown said...

not less gonzos than there were last year... the same. x