Thursday, December 25, 2008

Blog-Royale December 25

R1031035.jpg

They say that as one gets older, each year that passes is a smaller percentage of our total life, and thus life seems to move quicker the more time passes etc.
i.e. when we're 10, a year's worth 10% of the complete amount of time we've lived. Now I'm 21, each year is worth half of that, and I've never felt it more than during 2008.
Christmas Eve 07 doesn't only seem like yesterday, it seems like it only took place a couple of hours ago. Odd. And just as last year I had the sublime 'Tranquilize' as a soundtrack to all festivities...this year I have the following:



A masterpiece? Probably not...but the best Christmas single I've heard in a LONG time. Well the best since Michael Jackson's 'Earth Song', though that's not technically on the theme...but it does namecheck Christ. Sic...

So. Yeah. Time flies and the same things vary slightly: The Killers release another solid tune in December (although I hear Day & Age is a SERIOUS letdown which is a shame as I loved Sam's Town almost as much as I love internet banking)....Eastenders come out with another solid story line. New friends come. Old friends go. There's another My Family special. Everyone agrees that it hasn't been the same since Kris Marshall left. My team wins at Taboo..

We watch Home Alone 1. We watch Home Alone 2.

Photobucket

We don't watch Home Alone 3. We don't watch Home Alone 4.

Yeah. I guess that's just the way it goes. Time flies when you're having fun. And it flies when you're not. I can't really make any predictions about 09. I'll try and let you know what happens when it does. I hope I don't sound depressed or like your dad or something. 08 was nice though. Good films. Good music. Good times.

Laaads

If you asked me, I'd say here are the top eight records I've heard in 08:

1. The Walkmen - You & Me
2. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
3. These New Puritans - Beat Pyramid
4. Nick Cave - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
5. The Vines - The Best of The Vines
6. Silver Mt. Zion - 13 Blues for 13 Moons
7. British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
8. Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull

And films were probably as good if not better...Another 08 eight:

1. There Will Be Blood
2. The Assassination of Jesse James
3. Harold & Kumar escape from Guantanamo Bay
4. Donkey Punch
5. The Dark Knight
6. Blindness
7. No Country for Old Men
8. The Fall
(9. The Wackness - I haven't seen this just assume it's amazing)

Honourable mentions to The Strangers, La Antenna and Teeth.

NOT: The Happening, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Saw V. And I'm sure there were other culprits that were as bad.

Except in the case of The Happening...there's nothing that has desecrated the Islington Vue as much as that did. Ever. In the history of cinema.
And I hear this December's Will Smith mediocrity of choice is as unfortunate as I Am Legend. The 'Shrek' and 'Bob Marley' scenes are forever engrained in my memory. And Will, as for your son, please keep him away from Hollywood. He makes Keanu Reeves look like Daniel Day Lewis.

Photobucket

Anyway, yeah. More as it happens.
Today I got given Grange Hill Series 1-4, so I look forward to watching the birth of a star in the form of Todd Carty. And Eli Roth's bestowed me with the double masterpiece Hostels 1 + 2, unfortunately not starring Todd Carty. Jareth gave me the triple CD disasterpiece of Emerson, Lake and Palmer's 'Re-Works'. He was right to let a disgruntled Amazon review do the talking:

"I've never written a review before but after buying this I felt I must voice my opinion and warn others of the atrocity called Re-Works.
As a fan of Emerson, Lake and Palmer since the early 70's I have enjoyed all their albums (even the often, and unfairly, criticised 'Love Beach' and 'In the Hot Seat') and would go so far as to give them ALL 5 stars.
Unfortunately this sounds like someone has cut up 10 second slices of ELP tracks, loaded them into a tape loop machine, set the controls to random play and then set off a bunch of cheesy, clichéd drum patterns over the top: result..... 3 CD's of utter crap.
Jeez ! some of the tracks don't even fade out, they just stop in mid beat !
0 stars would be 1 too many. Stay well clear and buy yourself 3 blank CD's instead."


Yeah, I guess that gives you some idea of where we're all at right now...so come see Ox play in January.

BIG KRIM!


.

x!

1 comment:

Henry said...

that vines best of is bloody amazing! good call! get free is amazing and that cover of sorry ms jackson