Thursday, November 13, 2008

Blog-Royale November 13

Hello friends. I'm back in the real world: AKA --> UK, watching an advert for a children's hospital soundtracked by Athlete. How apt.



Anyway (and yes I'm conscious that I barely ever find another word to begin this blog), a short-lived but wonderful duo of trans-Atlantic trips have now come to an end and rendered me cold and poor, a classic combination. But my return has not been without its positivity. It sometimes feels like visiting another city is like holding up a mirror to your own and seeing everything that's actually available. For example, I am now very much excited about this:



www.thelondonbridgeexperience.com




Recently quoted as "The scariest attraction in London". Need I say more?
Who's coming?

Before we hit that however, I want to make sure that everyone goes out and makes the effort to find a copy of the Pix Fanzine, as the November issue has been almost completely compiled, curated, written and designed by Ox.Eagle.Lion.Man.
Real love went in to this, and it's a fanzine in the original sense of the word, and so the articles are simply about what we are fans of. Interviews with those who I was almost to o nervous to speak to...Corey Taylor (Slipknot), Stephen O'Malley (Sunn O))) ) and friends who I have huge respect for...Gabriel Bruce (Loverman) and Faris Badwan (The Horrors). Eddie's put the whole thing together, and it's also a bit of a family affair with his sister and my brother having both contributed articles too. For once I'm not even trying to sell you something, it's free so go and pick it up. It's distributed in various places in London, Paris and New York, and for those who can't get hold of it, we'll be making a full quality pdf downloadable in the next week or so.

I'm at my cousin's house. The MTV Base R&B chart is on in the background. It's taught me two things: The first is that Katy Perry has either never heard Gym Class Heroes, or is in complete denial, as her boyfriend is clearly about a tenth as talented as she is.
The second is that Wiley's 'Summertime' is the oddest thing he's ever done. But that's not necessarily a good thing, and I'm a Wiley fan. I mean, if I sampled 'Bohemian Rhapsody' or 'All You Need Is Love', or even B*Witched's 'C'est la Vie', and sort of half-rapped some pretty lazy lyrics over it, would the kids love me? And quite how he made his video look like the nu-rave episode of skins, but filmed using only the equipment available to the director of Grange Hill during the 80s, is quite beyond me. I am impressed though, but for probably all the wrong reasons.




On another note, it may seem to you that Ox.Eagle.Lion.Man are on some sort of hiatus. As Quarmby pointed out, "I hate us too"...but worry not, although we are not manifesting ourselves in physical form, you are only seventeen days from being able to purchase of our next record via the internet. Although you will not be able to touch or feel it. You will be able to hear it, and see it...well at least see a track listing.

For those who like their music more real than ethereal, I can promise something substantially more physical at the beginning of 09. We just wanted to get the music out there this side of Christmas, but for those of you who either wait or choose to purchase twice (my personal preference) we will hopefully have some sort of limited edition 'package deal'. If that sounds like some sort of dodgy holiday, that's funny, because that's exactly what you'll be getting.

I say funny...it's a little bit funny. Oh God.




xx

No comments: